Restore Your Smile
Are you suffering from ongoing dental problems like decayed, damaged, missing, or crooked teeth? Dr. Guy Leavitt at Fort Collins Dental Arts might recommend a dental implant to restore your smile if so. Dental implants are one of the highest quality treatment options for tooth loss. With dental implants, you can restore the aesthetic beauty, function, and health of your smile — and that’s something to smile about.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant surgery is a long-term tooth replacement option. The teeth implants are permanently placed in your mouth to restore the function and appearance of your smile. Dental implants are an ideal solution for tooth loss, and not only for cosmetic purposes; they also preserve your dental health. Tooth implants can replace single teeth or full arches with a dental implant bridge.
Single-tooth dental implants are made up of three main components: the titanium implant post, the abutment, and the crown. The titanium implant is placed into your jawbone and holds your new tooth securely in place, even when you’re eating.
The crown of the dental implant is the visible part of the tooth that will be color-matched to your existing teeth. Before attaching the crown to the implant post, you must allow a period of healing to take place. This process of the titanium implant fusing to the jawbone is known as osseointegration.
The Benefits Of Dental Implants
Dental implants are unmatched by any other tooth restoration treatment, especially dentures. They have a range of unique benefits.
- Permanence. Once your tooth implants are in place, they are a permanent part of your mouth. They will not slip or slide around like dentures, and you won’t have to worry about taking them out at the end of the night. This can help make you much more confident in social situations.
- Discretion. Implants look, feel, and function just like natural teeth. In fact, even some of your closest friends might not realize your dental implant is prosthetic after your dental implant surgery.
- Comfort. Dentures can rub your gums uncomfortably and make them sore and irritated. With dental implants, though, there is no undesired movement. Your dental implants from Fort Collins Dental Arts will feel so secure that you’ll soon forget they aren’t your natural teeth.
- Durability. Since dental implants are anchored into the jawbone with titanium posts, they are incredibly durable and able to withstand strong bite pressures. If you follow a healthy oral care routine and attend check-ups with your local dentist regularly, there is a good chance your tooth implants will last a lifetime.
- Success. Titanium is a biocompatible material that is rarely rejected by the body. This is a major contributing factor to the success rate of dental implant surgery, which is currently around 98 percent.
- Long-Term Oral Health. By removing decayed and damaged teeth and replacing them with tooth implants, you can help protect your long-term dental health. Dental implants can strengthen your jawbone overall and prevent other teeth from becoming decayed and lost over time.
- Improved Speech. Removable dentures or untreated tooth loss can make it difficult to pronounce words confidently and easily. It is not uncommon for denture patients to complain about mumbling and slurring their speech out of fear that the dentures will slip out. Dental implants plug gaps that might cause whistling, and because they are firmly rooted in your jaw, you can speak clearly.
- Improved Digestion And Eating. When you get a dental implant surgery, your local dentist will use tooth implants to restore your bite pressure, allowing you to continue to eat the foods you love. With improved chewing function, it is much easier to chew your food effectively for better digestion. Dentures can also make it more difficult to taste your food. With dental implants, you will be able to enjoy the full flavor of foods.
- Prevention Of Shifting Of Natural Teeth. When you lose a tooth, your neighboring teeth shift to try and fill in the gap. Dental implants take the place of the missing tooth root, which keeps the neighboring teeth from trying to move into the empty spaces.
- Improved Confidence. Is tooth loss affecting your self-esteem? You’re not alone. When your appearance is hindered by tooth loss, it can be difficult to smile with confidence. It’s also not uncommon for denture patients to feel insecure when talking, eating, or laughing, primarily out of fear of dentures slipping out. Dental implants can restore not only your smile, but also your self-confidence.
Candidacy for Dental Implant Surgery
Most patients with tooth loss or extensive tooth decay can benefit from dental implants. However, the following conditions might affect your candidacy for dental implant surgery:
- Heavy smoking
- Immune disorders
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Unhealthy gums and low jaw bone structure
Because dental implants require a surgery, you will need to take precautionary steps to make sure your mouth heals efficiently afterward. Healthy gums and reasonable jaw bone structure are also essential for your implant treatment to be successful. If X-ray imaging shows your jaw bone structure is low, you might need a supplemental bone graft.
Choose Fort Collins Dental Arts for Dental Implants
Don’t delay tooth loss treatment — delayed treatment can lead to further dental health issues and more extensive surgeries. Dr. Guy Leavitt and the entire team at Fort Collins Dental Arts are dedicated to restoring your dental health. Call us today to learn more about dental implants, or schedule a dentist appointment.